Subject: Re: [Leica] lense is indeed an acceptable spelling of lens...
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:54:27 -0700

My compact OED claims that the two words come from different roots:
Lens from lenticular (bean shaped) and lense from elensed (cleaned).
My wife's Concise OED and my American Heritage Dictionary recognize only
"Lens". Zpersonally, I never did like the Merriam Webster, but I don't
really see the problem. People from British cultures (like my wife) do all
sorts of strange and endearing things....

Mike Quinn

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] lense is indeed an acceptable spelling of lens...)