Subject: Re: [Leica] High speed B&W film experiences
From: Bill Bresler <bigwilly@elvis.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2001 09:31:53 -0700

 I had very disappointing results
> with TMAX 3200 at 1000 ASA, also processed in Diafine.  Low contrast and
> huge grain.
> Anyone have a pet high speed film/developer/exposure combo?  My interest is
> available light interior "street" photography, dawn/dusk cityscapes, and
> outdoor street photography.
Aric- I'm an old (ok, middle-aged) newspaper photographer and have LOTS of experience squeezing the last f-stop out of a roll of film. T-Max P3200 is my all-time favorite. Shoot it at 800, process in HC-110 or T-maxRS and you get a neg that prints like your best Tri-X result. I used Diafine for extreme speed. 6400 worked very well. The grain was fairly large but very sharp. The biggest problem I had was when I did not believe the camera meter and gave a little extra exposure just to make sure. That always gave me extreme grain and low contrast. Now we shoot everything on color neg. It's almost too easy :)
Bill