Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Summilux R Question
From: "John McLeod" <johnmcleod@att.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:28:07 -0700

Patrick,

Though my lens testing procedures fall WAY short of Erwin's, I did shoot a
few rolls of film almost 1 year ago using two new 50/1.4 R lenses (60 mm
filter size) and two new "next-most-recent" (55mm) 50/1.4s.  I wanted to
like the new 50/1.4, but I ended up buying Harrison Mclarry's (spelling
wrong I'm sure) 50 Sue-Me-Cron.  Why?  Well, the new 50 clearly had better
contrast than the older model at wide apertures (1.4-2.8) but I wasn't
altogether impressed with its center sharpness at wide apertures.  Its color
saturation was wonderful, as was it's corner to corner performance, but I'd
swear that Harrison's 50 Summicron produces a clearer, sharper center image
at f/2.0.  To me at least, the whole point of owning a fast lens is to be
able to use it wide open and while the new 50/1.4 is very good wide open in
many respects, I felt that the crispness of the image wasn't quite up to the
high standard of other fine Leica lenses.

John McLeod