Subject: Re: [Leica] SonC's PAW 34
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:54:01 -0500

> The Cane River National Heritage Area along with the Louisiana
> Endowment for the Humanities just published an unusual directory of
> Historic Black Churches.  I was fortunate to be named the photographer
> for the project, and the Brochure has just been published.
>
> You have seen my Rockford Church shot
> http://www.sonc.com/rockford.htm   which is the cover of the brochure,
> now I am able to share a couple of other shots from the publication.
> Normally, I try to put people in my shots, but the effort here was a
> directory that would not "age," so I attempted to get the flavor of
> these mostly rural churches.  The first is out on Cat Island in the
> largely French (not Cajun) area of Isle Breville in Natchitoches
> Parish (we do not call them counties.)
> http://www.sonc.com/paw/standrew.htm
> The alternate is shot across the Red River from Natchitoches in a
> little town called Clarence.
> http://www.sonc.com/paw/greenville.htm
>
> An index to my Picture A Week is at http://www.sonc.com/paw
>
> As usual, comments are welcome  sonc@sonc.com

> Regards.
>
> SonC
> http://www.sonc.com

SonC,

I have to ask why a 28mm focal length? Would it not be better to use a 90 or
even a 135 pulled back far enough so that you still have the foreground and
the framing with the trees in the alternate. At f8 or 11 there would be
plenty of DOF. As it is, it seems to me the churches are lost in both
pictures. In the alternate you need to look hard to find the church steeple
which blends into the background trees. IMHO these look pretty weak for a
brochure.

My .02cents.

sl

Replies: Reply from "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] SonC's PAW 34)