Subject: RE: [Leica] The new Nikon Coolscan IV ED
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:17:43 -0500

Brain,

With all due respect, the Nikon Coolscan IV ED is is a wonderful scanner.
However, you'll probably receive better feedback on your issue if you post
on one of the scan lists, such as "scan@leben.com" and
"filmscanners@lists.cix.co.uk".

Here's my initial feedback, fwiw.

1) If this is your first scanner, be aware that there's a huge learning
curve to scanning, and only a part of that relates to the actual scanner.
2) Using a laptop for digital imaging, IMHO, is an exercise in frustration.
Can be done, certainly, but it increased the already large learning curve. I
have 3 laptops and never use them for scanning.
3) You're right that dual boot with Linux is probably a non-issue.
4) Buying a Nikon Coolscan and expecting it to yield great images right out
of the box is akin to buying a Leica M and expecting every image to be in
perfect focus and ideally exposed. Hardware is at most 25% of the entire
imaging equation. Sometimes I think it's more like 10%.

Dave