Subject: [Leica] OM vs. Leica Lens tests, was How good/bad/terrible is the R4?
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:08:39 +0100

> Dan States wrote
>
> So, do we really believe that the old Olympus 90 is as good or better than
> the new APO-Summicron?  For that matter, according to this site, the old
> Summicron 90 R is nearly as good as the new APO. I own the R and while it is
> fine for it's day, it sure as hell is not going to match the new APO.
>
> According to the rating scale, a c rating indicates the performance is
> unacceptable above 5x7 enlargment.  Quite a suprise to many APO and non APO
> users Im sure, as they will now realize that their lenses should not be used
> at f2 for anything larger than a 5x.  Jeepers, time to toss my slides.
>
> Some of the Leica lenses are VERY old, and are being tested on Olympus
> bodies.
>
> While I agree from experience that some of the Olympus stuff was/is quite
> good, it is a little far fetched to say they were/are at the top of the
> game.
>
> Sorry, but this is a test site that doesn't pass the test of good science.
> Ahh, the internet, where myth and science are one...
>
> Best wishes
> Dan States

Actually Dan I believe the 90 f2 Olympus lens a is relatively recent,
probably 90s lens which has an exceptional reputation in the macro
community. I don't understand why the Leica lens seems so average.
The issue I would take with the testing methodology is the use of a flat
target. Not all good lenses are corrected for flatness of field as many
people do not consider it to be of first order importance for normal 3D
subjects. At least with a reflex where one can focus on the main subject
wherever it is in the frame. Shortcomings in a test on a flat target may
simply be that it is impossible to get the whole area in focus at once. A
serious problem if copying documents is the objective, of little consequence
in any other case IMHO.
I have been aware of this site for years but have always taken the results
with a pinch of salt (and any others of flat test subjects). Look at the 180
f2, 250 f2 and 350 f2.8 lenses though - too late for Olympus I fear as they
came out after the bulk of Olympus fans went elsewhere in desparation
because of the lack of fast teles.
I still like my OMs at least they have the aperture control at the right end
of the lens :-)
cheers Frank