Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Rolleiflex 3003 information
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 10:07:20 -0400

At 08:00 PM 8/17/01 -0400, Akhil Lal wrote:
>There is a listmember, Javier Perez, summarex@yahoo.com, who knows a lot
>about these.
>
>He says they are an absolute nightmare to own, use and fix. He has 3 of
>them and can't keep one working for very long. Lovely concept, poor
>execution.
>
>If rumours are right, this was designed by Zeiss Ikon to be the
>Contarex replacement.

Husteron proteron.  There are no "rumours" about the 3003's progenitor, the
SL2000F, being intended to be the Contarex replacement:  it most assuredly
WAS to be the Contarex replacement, as the SL-725 was to be the new
Contarex and the SL-706 the Icarex replacement.

I believe Javier's comments are about the SL200F's reliability, not for the
3003.  The 3003 has a reputation as a most rugged camera and it remains in
production today as a photogrammetric camera, often being used in
rough-country applications.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!