Subject: Re: [Leica] "pre-set"
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:39:53 -0400

At 07:50 PM 8/16/01 -0700, Henning Wulff wrote:
>I think you must have a fairly rare example. I don't keep up with
>stuff like that very much, but I'm sure not too many were made. Is
>this a black paint lens? As for the 90 being a macro lens; don't bet
>on it. It's not too bad stopped down, but nothing too exciting
>either. Using it on a Viso with the preset is a pain as well. Auto
>stop-down aperture is one of those things that made SLR usage so
>dominant. I tended to use lenses on the Viso's that didn't need
>stopping down, like the 400's.

Well, in 1958, when the "Pre-Set" version of the 2/90 Summicron was
introduced, few SLR's offered automatic stop-down, and preset lenses were
the norm.  This had changed, of course, within two or three years.  This is
a sterling example of Leitz being at the cutting edge of old technology.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Message from Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com> ([Leica] "pre-set")