Subject: [Leica] "pre-set"
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:19:09 -0400

>For use on the M directly,
>with rangefinder coupling the preset diaphragm was not an advantage,
>and could lead to accidental overexposure, as the correct f/stop
>might be set, but the stop down ring not turned to close. Just one
>more way to screw up. I've only seen the preset lensheads in chrome.

Henning:

I have a black 1964 example with the mount to put it directly on my Ms
(it focuses pretty close, too!). I got it completely by accident and to
honest I have never seen one exactly like it. Anyway, you do have to be
careful with the preset ring but it's not that bad. The rings are close
together so you just make sure to grab them both. Unfortunately, there
is no way to leave the ring in the closed position because if you open
the aperture up the ring moves.

I'm tempted to get a viso and bellows. I imagine the 90 would make a
decent macro lens.

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] "pre-set")
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] "pre-set")