Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop edit darker than it looks
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:03:45 +0200

Peter writes:

> Photoshop's tools are nice, but not if what I
> see is not what I get.

There isn't anything under File | Color settings | RGB setup?

If not PS is probably trying to work in a relatively independent color space and
automatically applying monitor compensation for your machine.  This may make
images look different in PS than they do in other programs, but since PS cannot
know what the final use of your images will be, I suppose that it just chooses a
default colorspace so that images will look acceptable in most environments.

PS always displays images quite differently on my machine from what I see in
Internet Explorer on the same machine.  I have the full edition and adjusted it
to match my monitor's characteristics.  The images always look better in PS.
However, I haven't tried to tweak images to make them look better in MSIE
because I really don't know what kind of display devices others will be using to
view my images, and tweaking an image to look good on my machine doesn't
necessarily mean that it will look good on any other machine.  The only thing I
know is that if someone with the full edition of PS were to pull up one of my
images on his machine, and if he had PS calibrated to match his monitor, he'd
see the same high-quality image that I see in PS.