Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop edit darker than it looks
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:07:52 -0700

(re. my problem of edits in Photoshop 5 LE displaying lighter than they
subsequently do in a Web browser or any other program,  Austin had
suggested that I use Adobe Gamma to calibrate my monitor)

> > Thanks, Austin, but I'm using Photoshop 5 LE,
>
> I was unaware that LE didn't have that!  Are you sure?

Austin:  Unfortunately, Adobe Gamma is not included in Limited Edition.
See

	http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1c37a.htm

I have used gray scales I've found on a number of sites to get my
monitor to display the full range of grays.  I don't think that's the
problem.

I think PS 5 LE is using either a default gamma, or a default color
space (perhaps its own Adobe RGB 1998) that you can't change.  Or both.
Regardless, PS 5 LE is operating in a different universe than everything
else on my system, which is just sending RGB pixels to the monitor
unadulterated.  And unlike the full version, there are no obvious
adjustments to make everything the same.  So the same file always looks
a little lighter in PS than it does in anything else.  This holds true
for any file I've tried, including several from other people's Web
sites.  On both my home and work computers.

What really ticks me off is that I have to deal with this stuff for even
for B&W (though I understand why this is).  Photoshop's tools are nice,
but not if what I see is not what I get.

I repeat--does *anyone* know how to make Photoshop 5 Limited Edition
display things the way they will appear in non-color-managed software?
Surely I'm not the first person in the world who has this problem.

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Photoshop edit darker than it looks)
Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Photoshop edit darker than it looks)