Subject: Re: [Leica] I'm pulling your leg
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:51:22 -0700

Cute shot, Anthony, and a great illustration of the "black cat in a
coalbin" problem (no offense to the poodle).

As you know, Paris is a wonderful place to be a dog.  I think one could
easily do a small humor book on the Parisians and how they dote on their
dogs.  When you see a Bichon Frise being fed pate de fois gras at the
table, from a fork...  well, you've seen it, I'm sure.

When we were there a couple of years ago (sans Leica, unfortunately), we
often ate breakfast in a particular cafe/restaurant where a very well-fed
Yellow Lab presided.  The first day,  I was watching the dog, and the
waitress came up to me anxiously.  "Is something wrong, Monsieur?"  "Oh
no," I said, "I was just admiring the dog."  "Oh, yes," she beamed, "he is
my dog, his name is Calypso."

I think she was worried that I was going to be an Ugly American and object
to the dog being there.  When she found out I actually *liked* dogs, we got
royal treatment.

- --Peter