Subject: Re: [Leica] Head and plate for monopod
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:27:02 -0400

I'm using the equipment already recommended by Joe and Doug
atop a Gitzo monopod.   It works.  For once, I had a monopod &
long lens combination that felt secure when being carried.  My
deviation from the recommendations is the use of the Wimberly
lens plate rather than the RRS.  The one I've got is a bit longer than
the model recommended for the 280/2.8 by RRS.  The extra length
makes moving the balance point of the lens and camera over the
clamp easier and mounting a flash bracket more convenient.

Wimberley's website is http://www.tripodhead.com, and the folks
there are most accomodating and helpful with pre- and psot-sales
support.

A word of caution if you go the route of the Arca-Swiss style
clamp: use Loctite where appropriate.  I had to make a diving catch
for R8 & 280 on the first outing.

Roy