Subject: [Leica] Americans?
From: Greg Coan <gypsy@lxh.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:23:15 -0500

Well my view of Americans and America are more in line with Friedlander and
Winogrand et al's work.  Often repetitive, mundane activities that can be
beautiful and speak more of my life than HCB and the others we have been
speaking of.  I prefer to look at images that surround me rather than
something "exotic" like Salgado's - although I do love his work and HCB's.

I just wanted to bring these others into the conversation, as they have as
yet been ignored, although two of the best Leica users IMHO.

My fav Winogrand anecdote is:  he would make exposures at his house, having
an enlarger but no full darkroom, and fill up a box of exposed paper, then
develop them when he arrived at univ to teach.  Talk about knowing your
shooting methods.

Somehow I think many on this list wont like their work?  Hope this bias in
my mind isnt true though :-)

Greg