Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:salgado, printing hero worship, the truth or what you want
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:30:27 -0700

polylux@gmx.co.uk wrote:

> Making printing an art is masturbation.
>
> It is there on the contact sheet or not.
> If you have something to say, say it straight.

Dear Mr. polylux@gmx Sir!
It's very much not in the contact sheet
	it's in the negative.
The negative says it straight. A contact sheet is definitely a curve ball.

Anyone who'd even in his photographic life made a commitment to printing would
know that a contact sheet has it's evils as much as it's got it's pluses.

A contact sheet just shows us in the crudest terms possible what an image could
look like in the positive.
But we get used to that very crudest of interpretation of the neg.
Unfortunately this first glace at the positive of the image influences us when
we make the print and we have to get over and around that.

To equate a strait not over printed image to what we see in a contact sheet is
to show ones ignorance of the photographic process.

Perhaps you should DO IT before you decide you're expert in it.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/