Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: hero worship
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:33:04 -0700

George Lottermoser wrote:

> mickeyp35@earthlink.net (G. Michael Paine)8/12/015:03 PM
>
> > >No matter how much of a head-case Eugene Smith was, he at
> least
> > >created the entireity of his images - from the inital click to
> > >the final, dry-mounted print.  Ditto Ansel Adams or Kertesz.
> > >I admire them for this.
>
> REVELATION. We can call some people "photographers" and others
> "photographers and print-makers" and still others "print-makers".
> I admire each and every one of these "labeled" folks if they make
> exceptional images in their respective spheres.
>
> George

Yea many of the great photogs just shoot slides. They are not darkroom people.
Others would do better if they stayed out of the darkroom. Just like classical
composure who conduct their own scores. Terrible!
And a bundle of folks who make their boring negs into glowing prints! They are
better printers than thay are shooters. NO i try to stay flexible in how
photographers want to do their thing. Sure they are still great photographers if
they are not darkroom people. Better than being a great printer; a different
ball of wax.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA