Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: hero worship
From: Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:08:21 +0100

>The legend has it that W Eugene was/is the only photographer who was allowed
>to provide finished prints to Life.  In fact, contractually, that was the
>only way he would play.  Also, he would work to create the print that he
>wanted using every and I mean every darkroom trick available then make a
>large format copy negative to produce duplicates.
>Don

Interestingly enough, in the introduction to the little Phaidon 55 book of
Smith's work, the writer claims that at one point Smith had prints made by
assistants, and that he sat outside the darkroom reading while they made
the prints, and brought them out for his approval.

In "the" biography of WES, "Of Shadow and Substance: The Life and Work of
an American Photographer," author Jim Hughes describes scenes in which the
entire Smith entourage (family, friends/assistants) would participate in
printing sessions, each one performing a particular task, including
bleaching, all under his general supervision. Smith is also frequently
quoted as having said that he absolutely hated printing.

Guy

Message from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Re: hero worship)