Subject: [Leica] Noctilux-ASPH?
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 17:32:53 -0400

I have a speculation question for the optical design gurus on the list,
or those well connected. Erwin comes to mind in particular. I was
reading Dick Gilcreast's piece on the Noctilux on the LHSA Viewfinder
site and if I understood correctly, he wrote that the vignetting of the
Noctilux is a compromise made necessary by the decision not to use
aspheric elements as with the first f1.2 version. I understand how
complicated that had been and it made sense in 1976, but I'm wondering
if that's still the case. Leica has been updating a number of its
designs with molded aspherics, so is it possible or likely we will see a
Noctilux ASPH 50mm f1 any time soon?

I realise the current one is amazing, but so were most of the pre-ASPH
lenses and that didn't stop Leica from realizing incremental
improvements when the new technology became available.

TIA

Simon Stevens