Subject: Re: Re[4]: [Leica] Salgado
From: Greg Coan <gypsy@lxh.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:59:09 -0500

Bob Walkden

Well I cant comment not having seen the show, but it sounds about right.
While in grad school getting my MFA in Photography I was often bemused at
some of the conversations that took place, and some of the work that was
made, not just in the photo discipline.  Some of us just wanted to make
pictures :-)  Its not uncommon for someone like Berger to read historical
and theoretical aspects into work that the artist may think "that really had
nothing to do with it, but gee it sounds nice and/or what a load of crap."

I look forward to seeing this special, hopefully it will be replayed.

Greg

> Hi,
>
> I've read "Ways of Seeing". I'm not knocking him in general, because
> he is a smart guy, but in "Spectre of Hope" he just gets in the way and
> contributes nothing worthwhile, imho. Even Salgado looks a little bemused
> by some of his comments, as if he doesn't quite know how to respond.
>
> ---
>
> Bob
>
> mailto:bob@web-options.com
>
> "If it's sunny, try f16;
> if it's not, try f5.6"
>
> --Walker Evans
>
> Thursday, August 09, 2001, 8:19:20 PM, you wrote:
>
>> ah man, John Berger hosted that special?  why are you all bashing him?
>> if you havent read "Ways of Seeing" and "Another Way of Telling" you're
>> missing out.  He may sound full of himself, but he's quite intelligent
>> especially when it comes to our relationship to images.
>
>> Greg
>
>> On Thursday, August 9, 2001, at 01:27 PM, Bob Walkden wrote:
>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> "Looking back at you" is about Salgado, in which he talks about the
>>> "Workers" project. He still has hair and a big moustache. It's far
>>> more interesting than "Spectre of Hope" for several reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. John Berger isn't in it
>>> 2. Salgado does more talking