Subject: [Leica] Compact M Motor - smearing image LHS
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 05:47:23 +1000

A while back I reported that motorised sequences taken with
the new Compact M Motor would smear the left hand side of
shots following #1 in the sequence.

Finally had some time to test this and can confirm that yes,
it's a real problem at all shutter speeds when you have the
motor set to the quiet(er) "I" setting.

What appears to happen is that the shutter opens prior to the
low-tourque-wind film has fully coming to rest, resulting in
the LHS side of the frame being motion blurred.  The proprortion
of the frame ruined of course varies with the s/speed.  At 1/250th
only @ 1/8th of the frame is ruined.  At 1/125th almost a third
of the image gets smeared.

However, set the motor to the louder & faster "II" setting and
the smearing is gone, at all s/speeds.  Here because there is
no low-tourque monkeying about, the film is in place and
stationary when the shutter curtain opens.

So the moral of the story is: use "I" for one-off frames and
stick to "II" for sequences.

(I'll add this morsel to the FAQ later today.)

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds
<http://nemeng.com>  -> vr java applets, leica faq, tech info