Subject: Re: [Leica] 400mm f/6.8 Macro-Telyt-R
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 8 Aug 2001 11:04:45 -0700

On Wed, 08 August 2001, Adam Bridge wrote:

> on 8/8/01 9:12 AM, Henning Wulff at henningw@archiphoto.com thoughtfully
> wrote:
>
> >> Just for jollies I threw every extension tube I have on the 400 to
> >> see what kind of reproduction ratios I can get.  I used a 14198,
> >> 14256 and 14182, plus the 60mm extension of the 400's focussing
> >> mount and the total extension is 180mm, for a reproduction ratio of
> >> 1:2.2.  Subject-to-film  distance is about 6 feet.
> >>

> Clearly this conversation has steered into a realm I don't understand.
>
> Could someone with some patience explain what's being discussed to someone
> who has never lived in the world beyond 200mm??
>
> Thanks
>
> Adam

Taking pictures of itty-bitty stuff without being right on top of it.  Using a long lens for macro photos gives you longer working distances and obliterates any form or suggestion of form from the background.  The camera/lens combination looks really strange and is very sensitive to vibrations and camera motion.  Scoot over the causeway some day and I'll demo for you.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe