Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on R8s
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 09:41:50 -0700

I'm seriously looking at purchasing an R8. I've been shooting with my Canon
D30 but I need film and I am not thrilled with the feature set of the
Japanese cameras which are almost overwhelming. The R8 looks like the
feature set I use - a few metering modes and MANUAL that's easy to get to
with controls that work like my M6.

I was pondering which of the two wide-med angle zoom lenses seem best? And
is that f2.8 70-180 worth in price of a small car?

I'll be shooting almost entirely color with this camera while the M6 seems
have fallen into B&W mode and is likely to stay there. Heck - so could the
R8 for that matter.

Anyway - if you're an R8 user and would share some thoughts I'd appreciate
it. I'm a big guy, the heft of the camera with motor drive isn't an issue.

On a related topic - who is using the motor drive for the M6? What are your
reactions to using it? I like the idea of not having to bring down the
camera to wind the film - I can just compose and shoot. Although stopping to
take notes is a good thing too. Sigh.

Thanks

Adam Bridge