Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera for a 10 y.o./Estimate kids
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:54:39 -0500

Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)8/6/0110:31 AM

> These suggestions are invalid comparisons, knowing how paper is
made is
> unlikely to aid the development of writing skills. It is
however a good idea
> to let kids learn the sort of things you suggest.
- ---------------------------------

As a matter of fact I think it worthwhile to consider these
extreme suggestions for kids. When my daughter was around 9 yrs
old. We bought a book, "Paper making for kids" and had a ball
making paper and showing her how to do calligraphy. And now, at
32 yrs old, she still uses those skills when appropriate to
making wonderful gifts. Let us not imagine that we know what will
kindle the imaginations of the young and impressionable.
Exploring the possible ways of introducing a young person to
photography - including asking, "what type of kid?" seem very
important. And the ideas of introducing a 10 yr. old to all the
possibilities available in photography seem wonderful to me.

May I suggest that you have the 10yr old put an 8x10 negative on
his belly, put a piece of glass over it, and have him lay out in
the sun for few hours and experience the magic of having a print
burned into his skin? The possibilities are endless.

Show him all the possibilities and let him gravitate where he
finds the most interest. Take him to a swap meet and let him see
all the possibilities. Let him look through a view camera - the
bigger the better. I still get a chill run up my spine when I set
up the 12x20 and crawl under that black cloth. It doesn't even
matter what it's pointed at - it's just a kick to see that big
projected image.

Show him the great photo books.

Take him into the darkroom.

Invite him to get togethers with other photographers.

He'll either get adicted to the medium or not.

None of it will hurt him.

George