Subject: Re: [Leica] 1st camera for a 10 year old
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:18:56 -0700

I've participated in the "first camera" ritual for easily 50
children, including my own siblings (I'm the oldest of 6), my
children, my nieces and nephews, etc.

The summary of my advice is, if possible, build up to something. A
camera is more than just a camera; it's a milestone along the
journey to adulthood. The ritual of taking or sending film in for
development is important. You need to look at why this person wants
a camera, rather than at why you want them to have a camera.

I bought my brothers Argus C3's. I bought my older daughter a
Stylus Epic and my younger daughter a Nikon FM. I keep my step-son
supplied with Kodak Fun Savers, and I got his sister (my
step-daughter) a Canon Sure Shot 105.

I have not yet found a digital camera that I would recommend for a
child. The operational models are too complex, in terms of getting
the pictures out, keeping the battery charged, getting prints that
you can hold in your hand, and becoming confident in your ability
as a photographer.

If the person has a real knack for mechnical things, and you think
they have a good eye, and aren't ready for a rangefinder, you can't
beat the Nikon M line. FM. FM10. Lots of choices.

If the person is clueless mechanically but has a good eye, I'd get
them an Olympus Stylus Epic. Great camera, and when it breaks you
throw it away and buy another one.

If the person is good with mechanical things and is also trying to
impress their friends, the Rollei 35 is a fine choice. Fabulous
lens, small simple camera, and usually pretty cheap on the used
market because it's not automatic.

One of my friends has a 14-year old daughter who dresses in black,
wears white makeup and white lipstick, has bells sewn to her
clothing, and calls herself a Goth. I guided him to buying that
daughter a Mamiya 6, and it was such a hit that they actualy talk
to each other again. Another jewel of a camera for young'uns who
can be careful with delicate stuff is the Kodak Retina IIIc; there
are a lot of them out there for sale cheap.

Replies: Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] 1st camera for a 10 year old)