Subject: Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: "kyounts" <ojingoh@sitespecific.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 01:32:51 -0700

hey george and LUG,
the vacuum back is indeed only available on the 70mm.  the 220 backs
unfortunately don't have the vacuum system a la contax 645 (or rtsIII.)
the rollei is pretty sweet in 3 ways, though, in regard to film flatness.
1, the back's film plane is determined by the body, not the insert, like a
haselblad -- this is why it's important to get the matched set with a hassy
back.  the back locks tight with 2 opposing buttons, the built-in darkslide
glides down and the film rollers and pressure plate push against the camera
back.
2, roll film is held to the pressure plate at 8 points, helping flatness,
especially in the corners.  and  3) that the film path is pretty straight,
unlike the contax or hassy.  easier to keep flat.
hope that clears up a thing or two.  kindest regards,

kenny