Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Quality versus Medium Format
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:55:35 -0700

><Snip>
> BTW - A few nights ago I was looking through a book I have which is a
> collection of the photos from some World Photo something or other
> competition - in 1964. At the back of the book there is a section giving
> technical detail - film, exposure, lens, camera, etc., for all the
> photos. And interestingly enough, the Rollei TLR is far and away the
> most frequently named camera...by far. There's a smattering of Leicas, a
> few other 35s, etc....but shot after shot after shot with Rolleis.....
>
> Times change..
>
> B. D.

I have a stack of 22 Photography Annuals most of them from 1951 to 1974 which
take up half a shelf of my reference shelf right here in my office computer
room. They were put out by the popular photography people. Then Ziff Davis. The
ones when in the back are pages of small prints telling you the specs, which
camera lens film and so on from the full page images in the main section of the
front of the book. Love em and got most of them from a Lugger.
Rolleiflex and Rolleicord is 2/3's of the work done. About a third Leica, minus
1 percent Linhof, Nikon, Canon and others. And this was before the bright screen.
An astounding propounding argument for the powers of the mighty twin lens
Rolleiflex.
And quality black and white printing.

I find the camera an awesome tool for quality photography ranging from Ansel
Adams quality/style to HCB type stuff. Quite a range for one tool.
Penn, Avedon, all of them. It's amazing the range of work this instrument so
amazingly creates. I'd speak in the present though as some of my best shots in
the past years are done with this simple camera.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/