Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Some lens tests
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 31 Jul 2001 09:04:45 -0700

On Tue, 31 July 2001, "Victor Wek" wrote:

> Besides sharpness, I look on colors, how they flow, how they are presented,
> how rich or not they are. It is especially visible on curved surface. Leica
> is the best in that matter. Other brands (Nikon, friend’s Canon) give me
> flat colors, on the surface nothing is happening; there is usually no color
> modulation or smooth color change. Those values are probably not
> scientific?! How to measure color accuracy?

Victor,

I noticed the same thing when I compared Nikon lenses with Leica-R lenses.  Colors can be made brighter using high-saturation films but this approach will reduce the color gradation (or, as you described it, color modulation).

Rather than using saturated films, I prefer the rich colors along with good color and tonal gradation I get using Leica lenses with neutral-color films.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe