Subject: Re: [Leica] Light in the darkroom?
From: Bernard Cousineau <flatbroke@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:29:25 -0400

Matt Kollasch wrote:

> Maybe it doesn't make any difference...  but I am about to purchase a
> light to mount on the ceiling of my darkroom and want opinions on
> whether incandescent is better than flourescent (or vice versa) in this
> environment?  My question is based on what light will help me view
> prints.
> TIA. /matt

I hope that this doesn't de-generate into a discussion of which brand of lightbulb goes better with Leica pictures, but I can heartilly recommend Verilux bulbs (http://www.verilux.net).
They are to lightbulbs what Leicas are to ordinary cameras: overpriced, longer lasting, and optically a few notches above.
For some reason, plants seem to gravitate towards them, it's quite surreal...

One piece of advice that I read when I first started printing my own colour was to use a fluorescent AND incandescent light at the same time. This gives results that still look good in daylight. Set the level to match your favourite local gallery and
you are good to go...

Bernard

Replies: Reply from Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Light in the darkroom?)