Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica filters, by Leica?
From: "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:29:24 -0600

At 10:45 PM 7/26/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>If Hoya is
>manufacturing the Contax filters, it would have set up a completely
>different production line or so it seems when one compares the standard Hoya
>filters with the Carl Zeiss softar.

Aren't you comparing apples to oranges?  I think if you compare the Contax
UVa to the Carl Zeiss Softar you may find a similar difference.  Zeiss
licenses the Softar to Contax, Heliopan, B+W, and Hasselblad
(others?).  You will find construction differences between the Contax
Softar and the Heliopan Softar - the Contax Softar uses plastic "dimples",
the Heliopan cuts the dimples into the glass.  I can't speak to B+W as I
haven't used their version of the Softar.

It is a shame that the major manufacturers aren't more open with
information on their use of subcontractors.  I don't think it necessarily
speaks poorly for Leica or Kyocera if they use filters manufactured by
another source - but it would be nice to know what you are buying.  When I
shoot with Contax Zeiss lenses, for instance, I know I am using Schott
glass.  But no where do they specify what quality glass you are putting in
front of the lens when using their filters.  B+W and Heliopan, on the other
hand, tell me what glass, how it is manufactured, and what materials are
used.  I am much more confident using Heliopan.  Leica filters are used
under the assumption that Leica would not sell a mediocre filter - but I
haven't seen anything in their literature that describes the manufacture of
their lenses!

Maybe I'm overly analytical, especially since I rarely use filters.

Kevin M. Bell
www.camera-collectors.com
1-877-977-5091

Replies: Reply from "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com> (RE: [Leica] NOw OT Contax, was Leica filters, by Leica?)