Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica filters, by Leica?
From: "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:53:23 -0600

At 07:24 PM 7/26/2001 +0000, you wrote:

>Once upon a time I was a subscriber of the Contax mail group (I make no
>excuses) and it was hear that I heard that none of the major camera
>manufactures actually made there own filters (Leica included I belive).
>They were more probably made by Hoya or B+W. Yet recently after purchasing
>my first (used) M6 it happened to come with and at no extra cost a Leica
>UV filter. And so I noticed it (the filter) is made in Germany. So it must
>be made by Leica? Or are B+W filters also made in Germany? Its not that I
>like using the damn things anyway, I'm just curious to be honest. Does
>anyone hear know the truth behind this?
>
>Many regards
>Edd

B+W and Heliopan filters are both made in Germany.  My local rep told me
Heliopan is the only German filter manufacturer to sell under private
label, insinuating Leica and Hasselblad filters are made by Heliopan, but I
don't know if this is true.  I believe Hoya makes Contax filters, but for
what it is worth I use only Heliopan personally on my Leica, Zeiss, and
Rodenstock lenses - I also used to sell them.

Kevin M. Bell
www.camera-collectors.com
1-877-977-5091

Replies: Reply from "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com> (RE: [Leica] Leica filters, by Leica?)