Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Kodak Technical Pan
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:44:47 +0200

Simon writes:

> ... it will have to go to a lab, and the pro lab
> I normally use state that they use TMax developer
> for black and white.

T-Max will be a disaster, as will just about any other normal developer with
normal development conditions.

I tried going that route, too.  I took a roll to my lab and told them to run it
through their usual B&W processing, even though they warned me that it wouldn't
come out.  Sure enough, it came out looking like line art.  One or two images I
was able to salvage through extremely aggressive manipulation of the scans, but
that was all.

Pro labs wanted $60 or so to develop Tech Pan, since they had to do it as
special one-shot development.  That's what made me decide to look into doing my
own B&W development again, and since it turned out not to be very difficult, I
ended up doing all my own B&W film development--including Tech Pan (using
Technidol), with very good results.

Doing your own prints requires significant space, money, and time, but doing
your own film development is much easier.  I have everything I need to do it in
two small plastic trays in the bathroom.

> I guess your view is that Technidol is the only way
> to get the best out of Technical Pan, anything else will
> have too much contrast.

I believe Tech Pan is derived from microfiche emulsion, and is really designed
just to produce clear film and complete opacity.  You can only get intermediate
levels of gray by greatly overexposing the film (hence the low EI ratings for
pictorial use) and by using a very gentle developer that holds contrast in check
(i.e., Technidol).

Message from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Using Kodak Technical Pan)