Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 20:02:08 -0400

> Austin writes:
>
> > That's completely wrong.  Show me ANYWHERE that
> > substantiates this claim.
>
> Start with the work of Claude Shannon ("A Mathematical Theory of
> Communication"
> is the classic reference) and Alan Turing.  Of course, others
> have contributed
> (e.g., Boole, Nyquist, and so on).  It's quite fascinating.

Conveniently remove the incorrect claim and provide irrelevant references.
Nice try, but communications theory is not the same.  It has some relevance,
but not as much as you would like to claim, or apparently understand.

Funny, how you mention Nyquist...but fail to understand the discussion at
hand.  I guess everyone in digital audio is a dope too (my self included)
because we designed equipment to sample at 44.1kHz in order to insure the
frequency response was 20kHz.  Boy, am I glad you came along and pointed
that out.

> No.  You appear to be confusing engineering difficulties with theoretical
> limits, taking the former for the latter.  Unfortunately, if you
> allow yourself
> to be limited by the former, it is difficult to make progress towards the
> latter.

Oh.  What, exactly, are your accomplishments, since, obviously, you do not
suffer from this problem?  Education, patent numbers, products, awards,
whatever.  I'd be most interested.  What digital acquisition systems have
YOU designed your self?