Subject: Re: [Leica] Equipment question....
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:09:41 -0400

At 06:29 PM 7/25/01 -0400, B. D. Colen wrote:
>As I understand it, it may have more to do with age, than with whether
>they built them better....According to Sherry Krauter, those with serial
>numbers above 96x,xxx are much less likely to be running into
>rangefinder viewfinder problems - the equivalent for an M of pancreatic
>CA....

I'm not certain I'd agree with this.  "[M]uch less likely" might have some
editorial spin on it.  Later cameras aren't as old.  I am relatively
certain that the design of the M3 VF remained constant through the
production run, with the exception of the mechanical linkages necessary for
the preview doohickey (785,801) and the DOF notches (919,251).

The RF mechanisms are pretty tough and I've never had one go bad in an M3
(though I've had two M4's whose RF's gave up the ghost).  But rebuilt units
are NLA -- the M4 RF is a DX item, but you have to find a craftsman
interested enough to remake an M3 RF, an expensive chore.  There are
work-arounds, but none are totally satisfactory.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Rich Pinto...)