Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:18:08 +0200

Paul writes:

> The LS-4000 has a theoretical max of 78.74 lp/mm
> considering purely the sensor density.  As I said
> earlier, the measured resolution of that scanner
> is around 60 lp/mm.

How was the resolution measured?  You need an MTF chart, not just a number.

My experience is that the scanner is very close indeed to the theoretical
maximum when it actually comes across a negative that is sharp enough to contain
detail that fine.  Every once in a while I scan something in that category, and
I am then amazed at how sharp the scan actually turns out to be--which means
that the scanner is quite capable of doing it, if the film image is sharp enough
to profit from it.