Subject: RE: [Leica] digital M
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:52:00 -0700

I find this DIgital LF lenses issue a joke......  Most LF lenses are
ooptimized to work over 4x5 INCHES of film.  With the CCD being, say 1x2
inches ( or pick your own size), the lens does not have to cover as big an
image circle....  therefore these digital LF lenses should be substantially
cheaper than their real LF cousins, and they are not... Marketing BS.

BTW, I will repeat something I wrote several months ago... a digital camera
has no purpose in having any kind of mechanical shutter.  The elements are
electonically gated.  A shutter may protect the CCD from frying in bright
light, but the concept of a simple ( and I do mean simple) shutter is
sufficientl.  No need for 1/1000  or 1 second stuff.

There is hoever, a need for a iris... to get DOF issues in context.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

That's why Rodenstock
and Schneider are coming up with a line of LF lenses for digital work (that,
or it's all marketing!).