Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:59:01 +0200

John Amiet writes:

> My dilemma is whether to add a digital camera,
> the Olympus E10 has been recommended for my level
> of need, but I really am more comfortable with
> my Leica's and Blad gear.

What would you gain from a digital camera, given that your current workflow
seems to work just fine?  Remember, the cost of an E10 would buy you another
Leica lens.

> So, I am comtemplating the new Nikon Coolscan
> ED 8000 to convert my images to digital as required.

That might be a better investment, since it reinforces your existing investment
in film-to-digital workflow, instead of rendering it useless.

> Question 1.Can anyone reinforce my drift?

I think that drifting towards a scanner makes a lot more sense than drifting
towards an E10.

> Question 2. Does anyone have comments on the scanner
> in question?

I haven't used that specific model of Coolscan, but I've used two others (LS-30
and LS-2000) and they are great.  I won't be upgrading from there because the
LS-4000 does not support SCSI and Windows NT, and there isn't that much more to
see in 35mm negatives to justify higher scanning resolution, anyway.