Subject: [Leica] New Newsletter
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@ision.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:28:19 +0200

In the past two months, while silent on the Lug (for obvious reasons), I
have produced a newsletter for a small group of people, who have a keen
interest in the optics, mechanics, engineering, secrets and use of
mechanical precision engineered 35mm camera systems. With these
afficionados I discussed topics like: a indepth test of the new Hexanon
2/35 lens, the philosophical and ergonomical differences between the M6
and the Hexar RF, the essence of the SLR and RF viewing systems, the
engineering arguments behind the Hexar/Leica incompatibility, the
artistic differences between Provia100, Kchrome 64, the issue of film
flatness, the concept of depth of focus, and so on. Find below an
excerpt from the latest newsletter.
If you are interested in receiving the newsletter, send me an email with
your address and topics you may wish to have discussed in the future. It
is free, no $18 fee for this service.

###
Having established in previous newsletters that there is more to
Konica/Leica lens compatibility than the simple measurement of the
distance from flange to pressure plate, I did some further research, now
testing in real life with 100 ISO slide film all leica lenses from 24 to
135mm on a calibrated M6 and a factory provided Hexar, which had the
distance from pressure plate to flange of 27.95mm, thus identical to
Leica but differing from the Konica specs.
As you recall, the Lug was very quick to some simple checks, which in my
view were done not to find the truth, but to 'prove' that nothing is
wrong. This view has been canonized in Nemeng's FAQ.
My results are different. I used a tripod, a high resolution test chart
and a measured distance of 4 meters. All Leica lenses on Leica body were
focused manually several times and the average setting on the distance
ring calculated. All lenses were within 3% of the factual distance and
the slides showed accurate focus under the microscope at the 40X
enlargement. The Leica lenses on the Konica body showed on average a
misalignent of close to 10% and that consistently over all lenses.
I did a special study of the 75mm lens, but not at the allegedly
critical setting of 1 meter (which is not that critical if you study the
shape of the curve). The 3 meter setting is more critical. I first set
the Leica body and the 75mm on the tripod etc. Made a series of pictures
and then I kept this distance setting carefully when using the lens on
the Hexar. Results (microscope) showed a loss of micro contrast, a drop
in edge sharpness and a loss of the very fine detail, including closely
spaced lines. Then I refocused the 75mm using the Hear RF system.
Results were truly bad: slides were unsharp and only the gross outlines
of the test patterns could be detected. I also used the 75mm/hexar at 1
meter distance. Results were much more acceptable, but not really good,
but not knowing the other results could mislead you in assuming  that
the focus was within range.

I did this test three times on several days, using several films and
creating every time a new setting and so tried to eliminate any specific
bias. Of course this test is not conclusive, but it does indicate that
the Lug has been too quick to bury the subject. But as Bob Dylan used to
sing: sleep well, Mr President.

The monster test of the BW films is underway.
I had some old rolls of Panatomic-X (20 years old), the film that
introduced high resolution acutance photography to 35mm users. I also
used the Maco UP25, 64 and 100, which are all versions of the classical
Adox high actance series of KB films. And an ortho 25, APX25, APX100 and
previous tests included PanF, TM100 and D100.
To keep it manageable I used one developer (the famous CG512) and tried
to develop to the same CI value. You need to do this as otherwise the
steeper curve of the APX25 may lead you think this film is sharper than
as example a D100, while in fact both are as sharp (seen as recording
the same information from the object) but the 25 has higher contrast so
the pictures have more punch, which could be sen as more sharpness.
All pictures were enlarged 14x. which in my view is the minimum to
differentiate  meaningfully between films.
The shots were of a model in an old desolated factory, giving ample fine
details, tonal scale and   resolution possibilities.
The Pan-X showed outstanding sharpness and acutance, but its grain
pattern was a bit rough but very tight. It resembled the grain pattern
of the APX100, which is a bit finer, and indeed the two films are close.
Finest details however were suppressed by the grain pattern. The tonal
scale   showed quite subtle grey values, again till the threshold of the
granularity noise. The whole atmosphere is an image of very pleasing
tonality, gritty sharpness and details painted with broad strokes.
The UP100 (Adox KB21) has surprisingly fine grain, but on inspection the
grain is clumpier but the edge sharpness is low so the fineness is
bought at the expense of definition. Overall quality is still
commendable and while not up to todays standards, in its day it
certainly was a winner.   The Pan-X and KB21 images indicate the
progress realized in 20 years of emulsion technology.  In itself of
amazing quality, these films lag in all significant areas when compared
to todays super stars. But the differences are on the other hand more
evolutionary that revolution.
The APX100 gives images that suit the reportage style of location
photography very well. These images have a fine realistic imprint: some
what gritty, but with a smooth tonality and sufficient fine detail to
make the scene interesting.
The APX25 has a higher inherent contrast and so small details are
recorded somewhat more forcefully. Grain is absent, which adds a creamy
tonality to the scene, but on close inspection the recording
capabilities are just a small edge compared to the APX100 or PanX. The
finer grain  does record the faintest shades of grey values, which adds
to the 3D impression of the scene.
The UP25 (KB14) is very close to the APX25. Grain is slightly more
pronounced, but much less so than PAnX or APX100. The tonal scale is
identical to the APX25. The intriguing characteristic of this older thin
layered, thick silvered emulsion is the edgy grain clumps, which, being
very fine, also roughen up the image structure. It makes the picture
very lively and especially for model photography and architectural
photography adds an effect that can be described as  underscoring the
main story.
Compared to the PanF as example the KB14 is definitely less smooth and
its finer details lack the stark micro contrast of the PanF, but all
said, this film is a worthy emulsion, that deserves a try. On a normal
viewing distance, the main subjects literally jump from the picture.
The Ortho25 is a trouvaille: I had some films and asked myself: why not?
In the same setting, the  prints proved excellent. The skin of the model
came out very realistic and I did not notice any  strange grey values. f
course there was no red in he scene, so all  other gray values are more
or less 'natural".  Sharpness is excellent and grain very fine. The film
has a clear base and so  looks very contrasty, even if the values are
close to normal. Not a film for every topic, but I am inclined to use it
more often and when using some filters can even add some additional
tonal scale.
Definitely a film to try and use for portraits, glamour etc. Take care
of red of course. But more versatile than mostly thought of.

As a preliminary conclusion I have to say that the UP25 and Ortho 25 are
very potent films with a  potential for intriguing results that need to
be explored. They are not as good as current  top performers, but the
distance from a TP as example is less than often imagined. So it is as
easy to note that there is hardly any progress in BW emulsions in the
last decades or to state that we have advanced a big stride to deliver
superior results.

If you habitually use enlargements below 10X, the difference are even
smaller.

The lesson: try more film than you use now: it will add to your toolkit
and visual awareness.

Next:
the PanF, D100, TM100, D400 (new).

Erwin