Subject: [Leica] PAW 27 & 28 (Nathan)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:26:32 +0200

The first couple of weeks of this month I was on vacation in opposite
corners of Europe. First in Le Mans in western France, visiting my
family there. I took this picture of Iris, the daughter of one of my
cousins, proudly displaying a snail that she had found in the garden in
the morning. Even though she is French, she did not look kindly on my
suggestion that she eat it; instead, she provided it with lettuce and
other necessities:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/27.jpg

Last week I was in Poland. It is a fascinating place to visit, the
transition from Communism to captalism is still going on. There are many
new shops, all the European retailers (Tesco, Carrefour etc.) are there,
and the centres of the cities look just like anywhere else. I took many
pictures there, but this one, taken at a rest area close to the German
border, symbolises the two Polands for me, with its presence of one of
the icons of the West coupled with the primitive toilet facilities that
hark back to an earlier time:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/28.jpg

This is not a great shot but it is meaningful for me because it
demonstrates the dichotomy in that country.

The complete PAW index is at:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/pawindex.htm

and comments are welcome and appreciated as always.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland