Subject: Re: [Leica] Development Adventures
From: "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:43:17 -0400

Malcolm, in your (timely) exchange with Tom Finnegan about split D23 do I
understand you to say that for tab grain films Anchell and Troop suggest 35
gram/liter sulfite and you use 5-10 grams? (instead of 100 grams/liter in
the Ansel Adams formula I have been using for TriX); and that similarly you
have been testing using 5-6 grams Kodalk/liter instead of the 15 in the
recipe I have been using? This would be a significant change in what i have
been doing.

The split developer practice seems to work well for me, particularly on
rolls shot under varying conditions: I often find that I can increase the
contrast of flatter frames but have more difficulty printing
overexposed/overdeveloped frames, and often they are on the same roll.

I have been testing the Johnny-inspired split D76 and split D23 with sheet
film this week, and after seeing your note I just now tried it with TriX
35mm. The negatives look good.

Bill Harting

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Development Adventures)