Subject: [Leica] Development Adventures
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:59:00 +0100

Tom Finnegan wrote:

>... Following Johnny's recommendations I developed for about
>2/3 of my normal time, followed by 5 minutes in the David Vestal split d-76
>solution B.  This appeared to do a very good job of taming the highlights.

I've been experimenting with T-Max and Delta films in XTOL between 1+2 and
1+4, and D-23 1+2 with a second bath along the lines suggested by Anchel and
Troop: a modest amount of alkali, some sulphite as a preservative for the
carried-over developing agent and 30 g/litre salt to reduce swelling. A&T,
along with others, suggest that sulphite should be kept below 35 g/litre for
tab grain films. To keep the grain from going mushy in the second bath I use
much less sulphite than that - about 5 to 10 g/litre. For alkali I use about
5 to 6 g/litre sodium metaborate (kodalk). The first bath is used one-shot,
the second is re-used.

Despite these, and other, dallyings, and DiXactol Wonderbrew, I still like
APX400 in Rodinal and have this little voice that always says: 'just stick
to APX400 in Rodinal and keep going'.

Regards,
Malcolm

Replies: Reply from "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net> (Re: [Leica] Development Adventures)