Subject: RE: [Leica] LUG: automation vs. the brain
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:16:01 -0400

> With my M6, all the energy that I put
> into thinking about the whiz-bang camera goes into thinking about
> the image.

My temptation toward a whiz-bang camera (I have yet to succumb, but as Steve
L. recently pointed out, I mull endlessly over buying decisions) has been
precisely for this reason: if the automation works, then it means I can
concentrate exclusively on the subject and composition, and not waste any
time on setting the focus or exposure.  That appeals to me, but the "if"
here is a big one.  And if there isn't confidence that the equipment will do
those things competently, it's a worse distraction than doing it myself.

Dan