Subject: Re: [Leica] Film scanner advice
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:33:29 -0700

Peter A. Klein wrote:

> The more I mess with scanning prints on a mediocre flatbed, the more I
> realize there is likely to be a film scanner in my future.  The question
> is, which one?

> <SNIP>

> - I'm primarily interested in doing my own black-and-white. I will want
> to scan the occasional Kodachrome slide or roll of color neg film.

If the Kodachromes are important, or the B&W negs are high-contrast, dynamic
range is your friend... especially if the photos were made with Leica
lenses.  Color negatives are much easier to work with and even an old HP
PhotoSmart will do fine with those.

I find that the PhotoSmart's optical resolution of 2400x1200 (interpolated
to 2400x2400) is fine for 8x10 prints so you shouldn't have to go to a
4000dpi scanner.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com