Subject: [Leica] Film scanner advice
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:56:50 -0700

The more I mess with scanning prints on a mediocre flatbed, the more I
realize there is likely to be a film scanner in my future.  The question
is, which one?

I've been reading reviews online, but I need a quality vs. price reality
check. It seems to me that there may be a point of diminishing returns
on price/quality where one might scan film for routine small prints and
the Web, but might as well go to silver printing for 8x10 or bigger on
one's best shots. Still, my demands are higher than what passes for
"photo quality" in the mass consumer market.  So let's say the following
conditions apply:

- - 35mm film only.

- - I don't plan on enlarging digitally more than about 8x10 (standard
letter/A4 paper).  How deeply I get into digital printing remains to be
seen.

- - If I really want a top-quality enlargement from a negative or slide,
I'll probably take it to a rental darkroom or a custom lab.

- - I want to see my images without spending bucks for 4x6 prints of
everything, and so I can put things on the Web.

- - I'm primarily interested in doing my own black-and-white. I will want
to scan the occasional Kodachrome slide or roll of color neg film.

- - I do available light, so dynamic range for highlight and shadow detail
is important.

- - I'm not the kind of person who likes to use things for 6 months and
then sell them and get something new.

- - Reasonable ease of use is important, as is reliablity.  I don't want
"automatic everything with no options," but I'd also rather not deal
with know-to-be problematic hardware or needlessly convoluted software
(I guess that means get VueScan if I get a Nikon scanner :-)

- - I'm computer literate and have done plenty of film developing and wet
darkroom work in the past.  I'm not so interested in doing wet printing
at home anymore, but I suspect I'll get back to developing B&W film.

- - There's also the option of not buying a film scanner and getting Photo
CDs of my stuff.  According to semi-legible notes I scribbled weeks ago,
Kodak will do 1024 x 1536 (1.57 megapixel) "Picture CDs" for $13.75 for
developing plus $8.95 for the CD, =22.70 per roll (not sure if this is
24 or 36 exposures). For a 36 exp. roll of color negative or B&W
chromagenic at 2048x3072 (6.29 megapixel).  Still, that could add up
quickly to the price of a used scanner.

Things like the Nikon LS-4000 are way beyond my price-point.  So things
like a used Nikon LS-2000 or LS-30 look more promising.  Going down a
notch, the Olympus ES-10s seems to have a lot going for it. I've
mentioned these brands only because I've read more about them recently,
others gladly considered.

The floor is open.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA