Subject: [Leica] Re: Meter Choices, anyone?
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:08:20 -0500

Ethel:

>The M6's inboard meter is marginal at best. You can never be sure of exactly
>what you're metering since there's no indication in the viewfinder of the
>metered area.

There's actually value in the posts of the sages.  Why bother subscribing
and asking questions if you're just going to ignore the voices of
experience?

For the record, I was all hip to get a small handheld meter, too.  (Have a
flash meter, but it's almost as big as the M6 itself.)  Figured the
techniques that worked for Ted and Mark and countless others had to be worth
something.  So I tried just using the built-in meter.  What do you know?
It's pretty darn accurate.

Take your lens off.  Look at the spot on the shutter.  That's the area the
meter meters.  About a third of the smallest dimension for whatever lens you
are using.

Eric