Subject: Re: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?
From: jkcampbell1@mmm.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:12:07 -0500

I'm sorry but this advice is not only ridiculous but borders on
condescending.

>I'd not complicate the issue but just go out and use the camera like it's
>designed to be used.

The M series was not designed to be used with a built in meter. The meter
was
added later, first on top and with the M6, in the body.

>If you then somehow found something deeply unsatisfying about how the
>camera works then cross that bridge then.

Sorry, but it's called "experimenting". Learning what works for you. You
don't
have to find something "deeply unsatisfying" to seek out alternative way.

>If you had a series of cameras with no meters and loved you meter then
perhaps
>your choice on an M might be to get an M4.

OK, if you're not going to use the meter in your M6 you must get rid of  it
right away.
As stated the M6 is designed to be used with the built in meter. You need
an M2,
M3, M4. You guessed it! Leica designed these cameras NOT to be used with a
built in meter.

>But starting out as you say you are
>I'd not complicate things for yourself.

That's right little lady, you should be in the house anyway, cooking and
cleaning
rather than toting a Leica around. My guess is that anybody that came to
the
conclusion that a Leica rangefinder was the camera for them can certainly
handle learning to use a hand held meter.

>Why insult the camera by ignoring it?

This is probably the silliest thing I ever read on the LUG

OK, I'm not going to carry on any further, to answer your question Anne,
there
are lots of different kinds of hand held meters. It all depends on what
type of features
you're looking for. Most Leica shooters want something small that they can
carry
with them all the time. Check out the Gossen Pilot. If you're looking for
something
that does more than just incident and reflected light, look at the Minolta
line,
I've used the Minolta III and the Minolta F spot meter for many years and
have been
very happy with them. If you really want something that does it all but is
about
the same size as your M6 look at the Sekonic L-608 or L-508.
Good Luck, jc

At 11:19 PM 7/15/01 -0700, you wrote:
Annie RN wrote:

> I'm fairly new to photography.  I took the plunge and invested on a
> second-hand Leica M6 Classic.  I am very pleased with it.  But I'd prefer
> use a separate meter.  I'd appreciate if you can share some suggestions.
>
> Best Regards,
> Annie

As you are new to photography why not do the obvious thing and use the
meter in
the camera?
Have you had bad luck with it already?
I'd not complicate the issue but just go out and use the camera like it's
designed to be used.
If you then somehow found something deeply unsatisfying about how the
camera
works then cross that bridge then. I think it's bad vibes to ignore a
perfectly
operating meter in a camera. The M6 is a joy to use and use spontaneously.
Put a
filter on and it compensates for that. Use a telephoto lens and it just
meters
the center of what the lens sees.

If you had a series of cameras with no meters and loved you meter then
perhaps
your choice on an M might be to get an M4. But starting out as you say you
are
I'd not complicate things for yourself.
USE the camera. It HAS a meter. It's part of how the camera operates

Why insult the camera by ignoring it?

Have people who have more experience look at your negs and tell you if you
are
exposing correctly.

I've used a hand held meter extensively in the last 2 months shooting with
my
Hasselblad. It's a Gossen Luna pro digital F. It's a nice way to work which
makes you in a way more sensitive to light but is also often slower. When i
shot
with my Leica i used it's meter. It was the obvious easy thing to do. And
the
obvious easy thing to do is usually the best thing to do if you ask me.
Do you have a "role model" who does so?

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA