Subject: [Leica] Re: Transparency Development
From: "Victor Wek" <photvictor@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:08:32

I do E-6 process on my own. I not make many transparencies per year to get
any JOBO kit, and when I started money was an issue.
I have a plastic container for seven 1l bottles, electronic circuit and
heater to provide desire temperature ~28C. Today I will use one of the
routers to modify current getting to the heater. It is easier then creates a
circuit. After few trials you can get proper balance between desire final
temperature and power.
In E-6 essential is the 1st B/W developer and its temperature. The rest
really can have normal room temperature. I develop 50% more (then Kodak
recommends) slides in one set of  chemicals with no visible drop in quality.
I open my tank after Reversal Bath (light bulb substitute). Important is
agitation each ~30sec. On my ancient laptop (386MHz processor) I have a
small program which tells me time for each bath, which depends on
temperature, set number, push or pull. You can stretch time 2x or 3x for all
processes, but 1st developer. I do that with 3rd or 4th set, or when is a
long break between sets (few weeks). I wash 3x longer then KODAK recommends,
water must be clear, to avoid gray traces on developed transparency.
I tried to use other chemical 2x longer then 1st developer, and I was buying
1st developer separately. But other components are getting off unevenly, I
stopped to do that. I buy just whole KODAK kit.
Sometimes I give my slides to professional lab, but it usually forces me
back to my own lab. My slides are developed better, and look better then
from lab.
You made a good choice for daylight slides, I like Astia and its (A)curate
(S)kin (T)ones, if there is no big difference between highlights and shadows
I use Velvia. Velvia is 1 or 2 stops ahead of any 100 ISO transparencies in
terms of grain, and when I magnify a slide more then 40x on my wall, grain
is getting on my way. Kodak has too many warm tones, and it looks dirty to
me. Only 100VS looks OK, but it is saturated. I buy 100 feet rolls of slide
films.
To see Leica power at its best, I am waiting for 90mm projector lens to my
RTs projector.

Victor
Earth, Solar System
http://communities.msn.ca/VictorPhoto

Stu Boyd wrote:
Subject: [Leica] Transparency Development

This isn't a "Leica" question, however I appreciate the opinions stated
bythis group.

For years I have used nothing but B&W.  I am now going to start using
transparency films, and will be doing my own processing.  The quantities
will not be large; only  two to four  rolls per week average, and I'll
probably use mostly Astia, or Kodak E100 series 35mm films.  My photography
is entirely available light, and almost all daylight.

I'm looking for suggestions on developers to begin with.  Also is it worth
using semi-automated processors such as Jobo, or will regular tank
development be adequate, and give repeatable results.  I've developed B&W
for over 40 years, and know how to control the process.

I'm not a "Bokeh" type person, but usually want extreme sharpness, and
strive for maximum "in focus" in my photography.

I do use the Leica M series, and have been doing so for the past year.

Thanks,
Stu Boyd