Subject: Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?
From: "stephen holloway" <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:42:23 +0200

Simon Lamb wrote:

> What film do you use with the Noctilux at f/1 in daytime lighting - ISO 0.5?
> ;-)  Even with ISO 100 film and using the Sunny 16 rule, you would be well
> over 1/1000sec at f/1 which the M6 will not support.  I really believe the
> Noct is a lens for the twilight hours and if a 50mm is required for daylight
> shots then the Summicron is the lens to use.  In available darkness the
> vignetting is not so bad and in many cases not noticeable.

During daytime I normally rate at 50/100 ISO (overexposing Fuji Superia
100/200 or Ilford XP2). At 50 ISO, to open up to f1.0 at 1/1000s you
have to get 4 stops away from midday sunlight. Shade between tall
buildings or an overcast day usually suffices.

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.com/steve/photos

Message from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?)