Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Bokeh'm somebody, naw nuke it! ;-)
From: "stephen holloway" <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 01:30:48 +0200

Ethel Red wrote:

> >From: Mark Rabiner > >
> > > I'm not so sure that the following image:
> > >
> > > http://members.aol.com/zeissleica/private/Bluebells.jpg
> > >
> >I believe we are looking at Bokeh in motion...
> >undulating highlights...
> >This adds another parameter to the mix...
>
> I don't think so. The highlights are all of similar shape. But they are all
> oriented to the center of the image. It's quite interesting.
>
> Compare the highlights in the upper left corner to the highlights in the
> upper right corner. They are exactly the same shape, but rotated 90 degrees
> to each other.
>
> What you're seeing is a sort of oval shape with a bright line around the
> outer edge. That line is always furthest from the center of the image. The
> pattern is consistent all throughout the image. The short dimension of the
> oval is always radial to the center of the image.

The oval (or comet) shaped highlights effect is called 'coma'. It's a
familial trait with Leica 50s - the Summarit (of course, it's the same
lens), Summilux and Noctilux all have it (to lesser degrees in the
latter lenses). I don't know about the Summicron but I would guess so.
It gives a charming, wrap-around look to the bokeh. The asph lenses
don't do it.

The Xenon picture looks very similar to a Summarit, but the highlights
are maybe a bit more hard-edged giving a fine textured appearance (I
love the look).

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.com/steve/photos