Subject: RE: [Leica] [leica] re: what put you over the top?
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:03:40 -0500

>>The box implies that this little $20 plastic camera will produce
instant, matchbox-sized color pictures, but we were unable to obtain even a
recognizable image on most of the frames, and nothing that resembled the
pretty
pictures on the box.  And the pictures cost more than fifty cents each, so
trial
and error is expensive.<<

If wonder if lots of buyers had the same experience you did. Polaroid has a
long history of quality. It's still a provider of things like the incredible
4x5 PosNeg film, unique SX70 film, 20x24 instant film, etc. That new little
camera received lots of promotion. Implied in that promotion, from what I
could see, was ease of use. It looked like a great idea. This day and age
products must live up to expectations. Overselling consumer products today
just doesn't cut it. Consumers are too smart. Too informed. Not saying that
happened with this new product. But I've seen it in many other
non-photographic products.

I'm a huge fan of Leica products. There are lots of Leica users on this list
and you just don't hear about too many unsatisfied customers. Sure, there
are some complaints, some of which are justified. But for the most part,
Leica products meet expectations.

I'd rather spend a lot on something of value, than a little on something
that has no value. I've owned lots of Leica equipment over the years. I've
never really been disappointed.

Dave