Subject: Re: [Leica] more on 50 vs 35...
From: Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:58:50 +0100

>Whenever a lens starts languishing in my bag I make a point of going out
>somewhere with no other lens but that one and shooting a roll or two. Works
>quite well as a creative kickstart.
>-Dave-

Dave,

That's a very nice idea. This is what I'll be doing with the 50.

It's interesting how one's preferences (or photographic vision) change from
time to time, as evidenced by the lenses that get more or less use from one
period to the next. It's also interesting how - as least speaking for
myself - one can fall into a photographic rut, grabbing the same pieces of
equipment, gravitating to the same places, remaking the same pictures. I'm
certainly not against finding something you like and exploring it
thoroughly, but I find that in some cases, things that work well become a
bit of a crutch, a default so to speak, and can actually inhibit creativity
in that their familiarity does not encourage further exploration.

Out of the last 7 or 8 rolls of film I've shot these past 2-3 weeks, I am
surprised how few "keepers" I got, though these rolls were shot for the
most part in places I've worked before and where I've been able to get
shots that I like. If I wind up printing more than 5 pix from those negs
it'll be a miracle. On the positive side, I can see that either my tastes
have changed (i.e. that the kind of shots made recently are no longer
satisfying to me) or that I simply blew the chance to get good images by
relying on "default" strategies as opposed to thinking carefully about what
I was doing while I was doing it, as I mentioned in my post yesterday.

Guy

old stuff still up at:
http://home.lainet.com/~gbennett/photography/

new stuff to come this fall.